By Michel Tourigny, Senior Manager, Infosys Public Services, @InfosysPS
Government organizations capture diverse data streams – transactions, operations, citizen data that includes their demographic profile, location, and preferences etc. – from various data sources. The existence of petabytes of information assets can help government organizations generate insights for improving service delivery, enhancing efficiencies, ensuring compliance, and eliminating fraud. However, government organizations have not been very successful in turning all their data into insights.
Studies estimate that government executives spend almost half of their time collecting and organizing data and less than one-third of their time actually gleaning insights from it.
One of the key reasons is data boundaries. The free flow of data is inhibited by boundaries created by diverse factors – physical location, IT infrastructure, business processes, application portfolios and enterprise policies. The traditional database management systems, business intelligence tools, and analytical engines are ill-suited to help organizations collect, organize and analyze this multi-source, multi-format data, quickly, efficiently, and effectively.
To generate actionable insights in such a scenario, organizations need to use an integrated, boundary-less data analytics platform to gather, cleanse, query, analyze, visualize, and monetize data within and beyond the enterprise.
A boundary-less data platform breaks down system, technology, process, deployment, and organizational barriers, and integrates the data chain – from creation to consumption. Such a platform streamlines information management by simplifying the discovery of information assets, curating and securing data for pervasive analytics, providing access to right tools for data-driven decision making, and enabling self-service analytics for business users. The platform blends traditional analytics tools and practices with next-gen approaches to help organizations generate rich insights:
- It creates data lakes that capture and store unlimited amounts of structured and unstructured raw data, irrespective of the format, source, or schema
- It builds a data grid to remove physical boundaries for sharing data, providing a seamless and secure access to all data sets through metadata-driven physical/virtual integration services
- It leverages master data management to create a comprehensive view of critical data domains such as customers, partners and employees
- It automates data operations for smooth interoperability and offers self-service analytics to business users
- It offers a host of visualization tools to analyze data from any perspective, empowering users across functions to use common data sets for developing unconventional solutions to business problems
Organizations across industries are leveraging such boundary-less data platforms to turn their data into insights. A global energy organization, for example, used this approach to generate insights to reduce its workload by 30% and operate more efficiently. A leading car rental chain harvests several data sources, such as rental history, service issues, demographics, corporate affiliation, customer feedback, and social media references, to assess the profile of customers and deliver more personalized products.
Government organizations can learn from their commercial peers and adapt the best practices to accelerate their data to insights to action journey using a boundary-less data platform.
For more details, please refer our point of view here – https://www.infosys.com/data-analytics/insights/Documents/boundaryless-information.pdf